Monday, July 2, 2007

The Morning Rush

Why oh why can I not get myself out the door by 7:40 every day? I am usually ready by 7 and then have 40 minutes to dress and feed the baby. 40 minutes! I should be able to put him in at least 5 different outfits and feed him until he is overflowing in that amount of time. For some reason I find some mundane task that has turned critical overnight and insist on getting it done. Does the laundry really need to be started? No! Does the dishwasher need to be emptied or loaded? No! But I obsess about these tasks until I have rushed myself into a tizzy. And by the time I get home in the afternoon those damn dirty dish trolls have visited once again and the sink is full. I need to set out some troll traps so I can capture those little bastards and send them to our neighbors house.

When I arrive at work I no longer make my cheerful entry full of greetings to all of my colleagues. I now sneak in and scurry to my desk as quickly as possible, hoping to god that nobody sees me or dares to acknowledge my presence. It isn't until after I have turned on my computer and messed up my desk a bit that I will start speaking to anyone. I recently read a tip about how to make it look like you arrived at work early - leave your computer on overnight. I am going to have to try that except our office is so small that nobody is going to buy it. If they don't see my car in the lot right outside of the door then I am obviously not there. And they all know for damn sure that I didn't arrive early enough to have already left!

Funny thing about being late all the time - I am never late leaving work (thanks to daycare), only arriving.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I am impressed that you are actually close to leaving on time with a little one!! 8)